Monday 22 October 2012

Goodbye My Lover

Quiz time people! Guess the artist from his following achievements! A former NATO officer and Queen's guard. His more well known achievements include topping the singles charts on both sides of the pond, two consecutive number one albums in the UK and being the artist behind the UK's highest selling album of the noughties. The subject that all these achievements apply to is the man, the myth, the legend himself... James Blunt. No, I am not joking.


I know. A slightly underwhelming answer. However, we all seem to forget that this public school ponce was at one point the single biggest artist in British pop music. With this to bare in mind, it is impossible to picture the spectrum of emotions felt across the country when the singer-songwriter announced in The Daily Mail that he would not be writing music for the foreseeable future; ranging from sheer joy to the deepest of depressions.



This is quite sad. Starting to feel really old now... doesn't seem too long ago that I was sitting in the front seat of my mum's Toyota Avensis listening to Back to Bedlam on repeat. Ahhh the smell of the overpowering Glade air freshener still resonates at these thoughts! Still, the most pronounced memory is me turning to my mum and saying "the lyrics don't even make any sense!" whenever 'Wisemen' came on. If anyone does know what the lyrics mean, do not hesitate to comment!. Honestly, it would save me loads of time trying to find their semi by the sea! Anyway, sorry for that lovely moment of nostalgia!


The point I'm trying to make is that maybe, and I'm not exactly ecstatic about this, James Blunt has now entered the realms of 'national treasure'. The quintessential icon of what I like to call "mummy-pop" (not expecting that to catch on, don't worry) is gone and so is a piece of my childhood. So, if there are any mothers reading this, don't hog all the tissues! I'm sure your son or daughter are just waiting for an excuse to cry their hearts out! Ok, maybe not cry, but I bet you they want to! I do! Yeah! I admit it! The man who urinated in a water bottle so as to not lose his place at the front of the crowd of a Metallica concert has been saddened by the retirement of this middle-of-the-road musician and can be moved my ballads such as 'You're Beautiful', 'Goodbye My Lover' and '1973'! Go on! Judge me!

I know this post is going to get me chastised by my muso mates, but I don't mind. Even though James Blunt may be hailed as a upper class blemish on the face of British pop, it is undeniable that he has joined the likes of Robbie Williams, Gary Barlow and many others in the UK's pop pantheon.








No comments:

Post a Comment